What are Open World Action Games?
Open world, free roam, or (more loosely) sandbox are terms for action video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given much freedom on how and when to approach particular objectives, as opposed to other video games that have a more linear structure to their gameplay.
Golden Age of Open World Action Games
We’re in a golden age of open world games, sprawling sandboxes where player choice rules above all else. Sure, there are stories, quests, missions, and goals, but players are free to complete them at their own pace. From fantasy realms to simulated galaxies, from modern cities to post-apocalyptic wastelands, the best open world games give players the freedom to choose their own path—to do what they want, when they want—and provide an interesting and rewarding setting for their self-guided adventures.
We had some amazing open world action games as:
- Grand Theft Auto 5: If you have not play Grand Theft Auto V, you’re simply not gaming right. With a bold new direction in open-world freedom, mission-based gameplay , storytelling and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the Happiness.
- Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag : It is a 2013 action-adventure video. With compelling characters, an expansive world, and an infinite amount of pirate activities to engage in, Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag is the largest and most immersive Assassin’s game in the franchise.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt : Playing in an open world third-person perspective, players control protagonist Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter known as a witcher, who seeks his missing lover and his adopted daughter, who are on the run from a group known as the “Wild Hunt”. In the game, players battle against the world’s many dangers using weapons and magic, while interacting with non-player characters and completing side quests and main missions to progress through the story.
- Fallout 4: The player assumes control of a character referred to as the “Sole Survivor” who emerges from a long-term cryogenic stasis in Vault 111, an underground nuclear fallout shelter, after witnessing the murder of their spouse and kidnapping of their only child, and ventures out into the Commonwealth to search for their missing child. The player will subsequently explore the game’s dilapidated world, completing various quests, helping out factions, and acquiring experience points to level up and increase the abilities of their character. It is the first game in the series to feature full voice acting for the protagonist.
- Far Cry 3 : Far Cry 3 is set on a tropical island between the Indian and Pacific Oceans. After a vacation goes awry, protagonist Jason Brody must save his friends, who have been kidnapped by pirates and escape from the island and its unhinged inhabitants.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim : Winner of more than 200 Game of the Year Awards, Skyrim brings the epic fantasy to life in stunning detail.
The game’s main story revolves around the player character and their quest to defeat Alduin the World-Eater, a dragon who is prophesied to destroy the world. The game is set two hundred years after the events of Oblivion, and takes place in the fictional province of Skyrim. Over the course of the game, the player completes quests and develops the character by improving skills. The game continues the open world tradition of its predecessors by allowing the player to travel anywhere in the game world at any time, and to ignore or postpone the main storyline indefinitely.
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain : Set in 1984, nine years after the events of Ground Zeroes and a decade before the events of the original Metal Gear, the story follows mercenary leader Venom Snake (also known as Big Boss) as he ventures into Soviet-occupied Kabul Province and the Angola–Zaire border region to exact revenge on the people who destroyed his forces and came close to killing him during the climax of Ground Zeroes. It carries over the tagline of Tactical Espionage Operations first used in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
- Just Cause 3 : Set six years after its predecessor, Just Cause 3 follows series protagonist Rico Rodriguez as he returns to his birthplace of Medici, a fictional Mediterranean republic under the brutal control of dictator General Sebastiano Di Ravello. The game is played from a third-person view and allows players to explore the island of Medici in an open-ended environment.
Let us know if we missed some. (only Open World Action Games for PC)